Monday, September 24, 2018

1 Corinthians Chapter 16 Breakdown


1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given orders to the churches of Galatia, so you must do also: On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come.

Concerning the gathering of offerings for the saints, similarly to the orders Paul gave to Galatia, Corinth must also do. Now, this is where I see an issue with the translation. The Greek word for “on” is Strong's G2596 – kata and its meaning is according to, toward, along. There is no reason to think this should be translated as on the. The Greek word for “the first” is Strong's G3391 – mia and its meaning is only one, someone. Finally, the Greek for “day of the week” is Strong's G4521 – sabbaton. This word we translate 59 out of the 68 times used as Sabbath. Paul is not telling these men in Corinth to gather together on Sunday, he is clearly saying to them they should gather together on the Sabbath. I read this verse as, “According to the one Sabbath, let each one of you give something to be stored up in order for the saints to prosper. This way, when the saints get there, there will be no more offerings to be given.

3 And when I come, whomever you approve by your letters I will send to bear your gift to Jerusalem.

Now, when Paul does arrive, he will send the one the Corinthians had approved to gather the offerings.

4 But if it is fitting that I go also, they will go with me.

However, if you choose, I will go with the approved saints.

5 Now I will come to you when I pass through Macedonia (for I am passing through Macedonia).

Paul is planning to pass through Macedonia, on his way to Corinth.

6 And it may be that I will remain, or even spend the winter with you, that you may send me on my journey, wherever I go.

Paul even says he may stay in Corinth for a long period of time.

7 For I do not wish to see you now on the way; but I hope to stay a while with you, if the Lord permits.

He wants to spend some time with them, possibly to ensure they are continuing in the Way he taught them.

8 But I will tarry in Ephesus until Pentecost.

He does plan to spend some time in Ephesus staying until Shavuot, which is the celebration of the harvest as well as the giving of the Law of God. Pentecost is the fiftieth Sabbath after the Passover. The Catholic Church has changed this to the fiftieth Monday after Easter.  

9 For a great and effective door has opened to me, and there are many adversaries.

Paul is afforded the opportunity to speak to many in Ephesus during Pentecost. He wants to be there to counter the many adversaries there who intend to preach false teachings.

10 And if Timothy comes, see that he may be with you without fear; for he does the work of the Lord, as I also do.

1 Corinthians 4:17
For this reason I have sent Timothy to you, who is my beloved and faithful son in the Lord, who will remind you of my ways in Christ, as I teach everywhere in every church.

Timothy has already been sent to Corinth in place of Paul. He is to go and show them how to imitate Paul. He wants to ensure that Timothy can come in and preach to them without having to fear what they might say.

11 Therefore let no one despise him. But send him on his journey in peace, that he may come to me; for I am waiting for him with the brethren.

Keep him safe and do not let anyone oppose him. When he finishes, send him away in peace so he can return to Paul. Paul and the rest of the believers with Paul are waiting for his return.

12 Now concerning our brother Apollos, I strongly urged him to come to you with the brethren, but he was quite unwilling to come at this time; however, he will come when he has a convenient time.

Apollos was supposed to go to Corinth but did not have the time to spare now. He will travel there soon.

13 Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong.

Keep watch, be firm in your faith, be brave, and be strong. This verse indicates that there are things believers must be on the lookout for. We will be tested and need to be strong and hold our beliefs firm. We also must be brave against things that come against us. If Paul is saying this, it means it will not be easy to be a believer.

14 Let all that you do be done with love.

Everything you do, do it out of love.

15 I urge you, brethren—you know the household of Stephanas, that it is the firstfruits of Achaia, and that they have devoted themselves to the ministry of the saints— that you also submit to such, and to everyone who works and labors with us.

Those in Corinth are urged to devote themselves to the ministry of the saints. Paul also mentions firstfruits which is a feast day of God. Granted this is not in reference to that day, it is the same terminology and has a similar meaning. This is just another example of Paul using the Torah and God’s Feasts as examples in his explanations showing that he thinks highly of both the Torah and its message as well as the feast days which are found within the Torah.

17 I am glad about the coming of Stephanas, Fortunatus, and Achaicus, for what was lacking on your part they supplied.

Whatever the Corinthians were lacking before, these men will supply with their coming.

18 For they refreshed my spirit and yours. Therefore acknowledge such men.

The men of Corinth should be sure to give acknowledgement to these men and those like them because they have refreshed the spirit of both Paul and the Corinthians.

19 The churches of Asia greet you. Aquila and Priscilla greet you heartily in the Lord, with the church that is in their house.

The Asian churches say hi.

20 All the brethren greet you. Greet one another with a holy kiss.

All the believers say hi.

21 The salutation with my own hand—Paul’s.

Paul signs the letter letting them know it is from him.

22 If anyone does not love the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be accursed. O Lord, come!

Anyone not loving Yeshua should be cursed.

23 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.

May Yeshua be with you in Corinth.

24 My love be with you all in Christ Jesus. Amen.

Paul sends his love to all those in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment