Monday, September 10, 2018

1 Corinthians Chapter 9 Breakdown


1 Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord?

Paul asks a few rhetorical questions here.

2 If I am not an apostle to others, yet doubtless I am to you. For you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.

There is no doubt Paul is the apostle for the Corinthians. They are his seal.

3 My defense to those who examine me is this: Do we have no right to eat and drink?

He asks about having a right to eat and drink as apostles. Presumably referring to “pay” to be an apostle.

5 Do we have no right to take along a believing wife, as do also the other apostles, the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas?

Paul then asks, are the apostles allowed to bring along a wife during their missions to spread the word.

6 Or is it only Barnabas and I who have no right to refrain from working?

Paul is saying, he should be given food and drink for his work.

7 Who ever goes to war at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat of its fruit? Or who tends a flock and does not drink of the milk of the flock?

There is no one who goes to war at his own expense. There is no one who plants a vineyard and doesn’t enjoy the fruit. No one takes care of sheep and then does not drink the milk from them.

8 Do I say these things as a mere man? Or does not the law say the same also?

Paul asks again a rhetorical and prepares to give evidence.

9 For it is written in the law of Moses, “You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain.” Is it oxen God is concerned about?

Deuteronomy 25:4
“You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain”

This is another instance where Paul uses the Law of God to prove his teaching. He is saying, men should allow the ox to eat and not bar the animal from food. But, we should know it is not the animal God is truly worried about here.

10 Or does He say it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written, that he who plows should plow in hope, and he who threshes in hope should be partaker of his hope.

It is for the sake of men God is saying this. The man who plows should do so with hope. And the man who harvests with hope should also take part in the hope.

11 If we have sown spiritual things for you, is it a great thing if we reap your material things?

If the apostles have helped to create in you spiritual things, it is a big deal if the apostles share the material things you have? Is not the spiritual things better than the material things?

12 If others are partakers of this right over you, are we not even more? Nevertheless we have not used this right, but endure all things lest we hinder the gospel of Christ.

If you allow others to share in your material things, shouldn’t we be able to share even more than them? Either way, we have not shared, but endured without lest the apostles hinder the gospel.

13 Do you not know that those who minister the holy things eat of the things of the temple, and those who serve at the altar partake of the offerings of the altar?

Leviticus 8:31
And Moses said to Aaron and his sons, “Boil the flesh at the door of the tabernacle of meeting, and eat it there with the bread that is in the basket of consecration offerings, as I commanded, saying, ‘Aaron and his sons shall eat it.

Exodus 28:1
“Now take Aaron your brother, and his sons with him, from among the children of Israel, that he may minister to Me as priest, Aaron and Aaron’s sons: Nadab, Abihu, Eleazar, and Ithamar.

Those who administer the holy things eat of the things in the temple. Aaron and his sons were the priests. They all worked in the “temple” or tent of meetings. This is what Paul is referring to.

14 Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel.

Leviticus 19:13
‘You shall not cheat your neighbor, nor rob him. The wages of him who is hired shall not remain with you all night until morning.

Luke 10:8
Whatever city you enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you.

The law of God says a man deserves his wages for his work. Yeshua says to the apostles to eat the food they are given while preaching from town to town.

15 But I have used none of these things, nor have I written these things that it should be done so to me; for it would be better for me to die than that anyone should make my boasting void.

Paul has not taken anything from anyone and says it is better if he dies than to allow people to think he is boasting about being given the messages from the Holy Spirit to teach.

16 For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for necessity is laid upon me; yes, woe is me if I do not preach the gospel!

Paul says he only preaches the gospel so he doesn’t have anything to boast about. He only teaches the necessary things. Despair should fall upon him if he does not preach the good news.

17 For if I do this willingly, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have been entrusted with a stewardship.

If Paul teaches the gospel unforced, he will receive a reward. But, if he is forced, he will be delegated the management of the affairs of the gospel.

18 What is my reward then? That when I preach the gospel, I may present the gospel of Christ without charge, that I may not abuse my authority in the gospel.

So, what is his reward? He says it is when he preaches the gospel without charge, he will not be abusing his authority in the gospel.

19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

Even though Paul is a free man, and owes no man anything, he has chosen to become a servant to all men in sharing the gospel. In doing so he hopes to gain more people for YHWH. When he went to the Jews, he became like them in terms of their mindset in order to win them over. To those who are under the law, that is the Jewish oral law we know today as the Talmudic law, Paul did as they did. This does not mean he broke God’s law, it simply means he did things similar to them that did not directly break God’s law in order to win them over. To the Jews who were not under the Talmudic law, Paul makes sure to point out they were not wicked or sinful toward God’s Law, but lawful toward Christ. Because Paul goes out of his way to distinguish between God’s Law and this other law, we can conclude it is not the Law of God these people were not under. Now, he goes on to say he becomes all things to all men in order to win them over to God.   

23 Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.

Paul does all these things to spread the gospel. His intention is to be a part of the good news with all those he preaches to.

24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.

This is quite interesting. Everyone who participates in a race all do the same thing, but only one person wins the prize. Paul says, we all should be working as hard as we can to win the prize. Spread the word, be as Christ-like as possible. This kind of rules out the idea that there is no need for any works. Considering Paul says we should be doing the works of God to the best of our abilities in order to receive a reward.

Job 34:11
For He repays man according to his work, And makes man to find a reward according to his way.

Psalm 18:20
The Lord rewarded me according to my righteousness; According to the cleanness of my hands He has recompensed me.

Psalm 19:7-11
The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul; The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes; The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, Yea, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. Moreover by them Your servant is warned, And in keeping them there is great reward.

Proverbs 13:13
He who despises the word will be destroyed, But he who fears the commandment will be rewarded.
Matthew 16:27

For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works.

Luke 23:41
And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds

Revelation 22:12
And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work.

These scriptures make if very clear, our deeds are not a way to salvation, but a way to rewards when Christ returns. Paul says our works do not save, but he also says our works will bring rewards. YHWH says keeping His law brings Blessings. We can determine, keeping the Law of God brings blessing in this life, and rewards when in the Kingdom of God.

25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown.

All who compete and are content, they do it to gain a reward that will parish. But, believers, in contrast are not content and run the race to obtain an imperishable crown.

26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air.

Paul still using the race metaphor says he is running this race but having a goal in mind. The word for uncertainty simply means aimless, or without aim. But, he strives to be one who wins, but not winning against no one, thus simply beating air.

27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

Paul wears out his body and brings himself into slavery to what he preaches in order to not become castaway or unapproved. One cannot be counted reliable of they don’t hold themselves to the same standard as what they teach.


No comments:

Post a Comment